You're Going to Eat What?!
While the idea of eating your placenta might seem very new, or even ‘gross,’ it is actually common practice in many other cultures, and has been throughout our history. There is an ever-growing body of evidence, as well as a chorus of satisfied mothers, pointing to the many benefits of Placentophagia (consuming your placenta after delivery).
The placenta is an amazing organ that grows along with your baby to sustain their life in the womb, but its function is not meant to end there. For all land mammals, other than humans, it is then eaten by the mother to replenish her iron and nutrients after delivery, ease her transition from the hormones of pregnancy, and begin the process of making milk for her newborn.
Benefits of Placenta Encapsulation:
* Helps prevent postpartum depression
* Speeds up mothers recovery time
* Improves breast milk supply
* Boosts postpartum energy levels
* Shrinks the uterus
* May prevent postpartum hemorrhage and
* Decrease postpartum bleeding
* May prevent iron deficiency anemia
" Having my pills postpartum helped immensely and instead of dealing with anxiety and tears, I spent the first few weeks with my new family feeling alert, happy, and calm, even admist the chaos."
Healing Properties of the Placenta:
* Gonadotrophin: the precursor to estrogen, progesterone and testosterone
* Prolactin: promotes lactation
* Oxytocin: for pain and bonding; produced during breastfeeding to facilitate bonding of mother and infant. In pharmaceutical form this is a very addictive drug because it promotes a feeling of connectedness with others
* Thyroid stimulating hormone: boosts energy and helps recovery from stressful events
* Interferon: stimulates the immune system to protect against infections
* Prostaglandins: anti-inflammatory, stimulate involution (shrinking of the uterus to its former size)
* Hemoglobin: replenishes iron deficiency and anemia, a common postpartum condition
* Urokinase inhibiting factor and factor XIII: stops bleeding and enhances wound healing
* Gamma globulin: immune booster that helps protect against postpartum infections
* Human Placental Lactogen (HPL): stimulates mammary gland function and milk production
* Placental Opioid-Enhancing Factor (POEF): Stimulates the production of your body’s natural opioids, including endorphins, reduces pain, increases well-being.
Proudly serving throughout central and southern New Hampshire, and Massachusetts!